Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekend Review


Saturday in an attempt to save money I did nothing except take pictures of items that I am going to put on Ebay today and tomorrow. I did however locate some very good friends on Facebook. When I was a kid a family from Vietnam moved into a house next to my grandparents, who lived the next street over from me. There were five kids all around the same age as myself. During junior high school and high school I practically lived at their house. Ahn, the middle son was the same age as me and we hung out all the time. Their house was like my second home. There many many crazy things that happened at that house and for the most part his parents let us get away with whatever we did. One time we caught a squirrel in a live trap and we brought the trap into the house. Well Ahn's youngest brother was checking it out and decided to open the cage. Naturally the squirrel bolted out of the cage and proceeded to tear around the house in total panic. Their Mom freaked at this scene. She was so afraid of this thing. She jumped up on the coffee table and frantically jumped around and screamed in a total panic. All us kids thought this was the funniest darn thing and fell on the floor laughing like a bunch of stoned fools. She was screaming Vietnamese so of course I had no clue to what she was actually saying. After several minutes we were able to get the squirrel out of the house and back into freedom much to its delight. Outside of yelling and screaming when the scene was over their Mom did nothing. This was all too typical. When all of us stoners, and there was a large number of us, started eating too much food their Dad put locks on the cabinets. Being the industrious stoners we were we would take the screws out of the hinges and get out munchies that way. Our primary source of munchies, ramen noodles. This was way before ramen noodles were a mass market thing like they are today. His parents would take roadtrips to NYC and do the massive shopping trips at an Asian market there. These events were so common that they did not seem out of the ordinary. So anyhow I located three of the five kids on Facebook this weekend. Reconnecting will be great. All the kids live in California now and I have not seen them in over 20 years.
Yesterday I went to my usual Sunday football hangout and watched the Bucs get hammered. I think this was one of the worst games I have ever seen them play. Totally pathetic. One odd thing yesterday was the sea fog. It was just right along the beach and very heavy. It did keep the temps down quite a bunch. After the game I went to the beach and took a few shots. A couple look like they may have come out quite well. If so those will be tomorrows posts.
I think I am going to go to the Webster flea market this morning. Then come home and do the EBay stuff and take some of the plants out of the starter pots and put them in the garden.
Have a good Monday my friends.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

have fun at the market.

Anonymous said...

That is a heck of a god story and an even better memory for you. Teams like the Bucs and Lions seem to need new ownership, but as long as they make money losing, why bother.

Anonymous said...

I love the photo. I am surprised that shoe repair shops are still around. There are at least two in my little town.

Mark said...

The market was good. Bought some fresh corn on the cob. $2 for ten ears. Then as I was leaving there was the Arnold bread guy from the distribution warehouse selling day old bread for $1 a loaf. I bought five loafs.

It is hard to imagine the things we did at that house and never got into any trouble. For good and bad that is one of the reasons I am who I am today.

The Glazers may not care a whole bunch. Since they own Manchester Untied, the most profitable sports franchise in the world I believe, it seems they really do not care if the Bucs win. Bummer.

This shoe repair store is in downtown St. Peterburg. Does seem odd these days.