Thursday, December 10, 2009

Eye on the Future

So I am trying to figure out where to live if I end up moving. Should I rent a house or deal with an apt. for a year and try to bank some cash. Saving cash sounds very good, however apt. living sucks for the most part. One thing that is certain is no matter where I go washer and dryer must be included. Some many have washer/dryer connections as a feature. No that is not a feature. Put the things in the apt. or home and that is a feature.
I like the space a house offers and at least you do not feel so boxed in. But you spend more cash.
Heck no matter how much I get rid of I still will more than will fit into a 1 bedroom apartment.
Decisions.

A dear friend of my grandmothers and someone I knew fairly well as kid passed away this week.
Joseph Bella or Jo Jo was 82 years old and in good health. He was home alone and was working on a ladder. He fell off the ladder and hit his head on the concrete floor. When Lill, his wife, came home he was in the bathroom cleaning up. Lill called 911 and by the time they arrived he was unconscious. He never regained consciousness and was declared brain dead at the hospital. The family decided to let him pass on instead of being kept alive by machines. Jo Jo and Lill were married for nearly 55 years. One of his great passions was his gardens. When you went by the house the yard was full of flowers. In the back were veggies, apple trees and blueberry bushes.
May he rest in peace.

Off to get a coffee maker for my grandmother as a Xmas present. She has little one that works well but now that she is part of the breakfast club with a couple others in the park she needs a bigger pot. Then I am going to the bookstore and look at some baseball card price guides. I forgot I this pack of cards that was given to me a few years ago. I did some research last night and found out these are from 1950 and were sold at the Baseball Hall of Fame and some baseball stadiums. It seems that some may be quite valuable. If I send these in to get graded then they have to the potential to worth a whole bunch more. My only reservation is the cost of getting cards graded is expensive. It may well be worth it so I will use the bookstore as a library.
I figure at the least the set is worth $200 dollars and at the most several thousand.

Time for research.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

sorry to hear the loss of your grandmother's friend and the loss of a fellow gardener to boot.

perhaps you can't make your home choice until you get up there and nose around. You may find something wholely unexpected and just what you need.

True, you can't blast your music or pee off the porch of an apartment BUT, it will force you to be around people and you may have an opportunity to meet someone, oh say, FEMALE!! wouldn't that be nice?

It is dreary here and the birds are screaming nonstop. I am thinking of red-bird stew for supper.

Taking tomorrow off and Tia and I are going to hit the farmer's market (or I am going to and she is going to take that extra half hour to sleep), go to the Daytona Flea Market, and try to finish the shopping. I am looking forward to spending the day with her. Who knows, we may end up at Tropical Tattoo and get matching tattoos?

get your grandma a pound of good coffee to go with her coffemaker. the YaYa's may like a change from the cheap stuff they probably drink. Just an idea.

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for your grandmother's loss of a friend. I know how it is ...

Sometimes small or older homes can be found in decent areas for about the same price as a one-or-two bedroom apt. Modern living is so fluid you will probably be moving after a while anyway. Hope you can find a place to put down your roots.

Tammy said...

oh, and you know I love the picture of the beach bird!

Mark said...

I will have to go up and get an idea of the area before I make any decisions. Here is one I found that I like.

http://www.gsorentahome.com/availibilitylist/featured/1305%20Haverhill.html

An apt. would let me meet people quickly and females at that. Who knew.

Have fun shopping at the markets. Hopefully Tia will be going with you. Matching Tats, Mike will love that.

I'll add some good coffee.

I think I should be able to find a place not too far outside the city for a decent price. From what I understand traffic is much better than it is here and you can be in the city fairly quick even at rush hour.