Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Idols

Today I am leaving work early to go over to Winston-Salem. William Christenberry, who is having a show at Reynolda House is giving a speech tonight. I was able to get caught up at work and am going to hear him speak. It should be very interesting and a great learning experience.

The show is in the auditorium. Then I will have to go back and actually see the show. Maybe I'll get to meet him and not know what too say.

This past weekend I found some leads on places I may be able to show my work and also found a camera club near here. Things are looking up on that front.

The new camera needs to come soon.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I hope you get to meet him and simply tell him how inspiring his work is to you. Thank him for not giving up on the dreams that moved him. I know you will do just fine in your shy way. You are venturing out into this art form of yours and only good things can happen. These hobbies of ours are what puts spice in our lives and moves us to whimsy which is essential to a full balanced life I think. (One of the reasons I worry for my husband due to his lack of it) I hope you enjoy tonight's experience immensely.

Anonymous said...

Tammy said it much better than could I.

Have you ordered the new camera?

The pic is quite nostalgic; used to be a lot of these stores here.

Mark said...

It was a packed room last night.
There about 175 people. I was one of the odd ducks in the crowd. Most of the people there were the "money crowd". Dressed very nicely and such. There I was in jeans and my untucked shirt.

He spoke for about 1 1/2, which was longer than planned. It is quite clear than my style is right out of his playbook. He was taking photos of things he liked and had meaning to the community. he went to college to be a painter or scuplter. Somehow he meet the great Walker Evans and that is when things changed. Walker told him his work was great and he was off and running.

The great thing is most of his famous photos from his early years were taken with a little Kodak Brownie Bullet camera. A simple point and shoot camera. Those little 3 x 5 prints are what made him famous. Those original prints now selll for many thousands of dollars. All from a pointand shoot cameraa.

I did get him to autograph one of his books I have. Talked for a minute as the line was very long.
He was getting tired from signing at that point.

The whole just reaffirmed what I shoot. Now to find my outlet to get my work seen my the larger viewing public.