Saturday, October 31, 2009

Panic in my brain

This is a picture of the Sidney Lanier Bridge in southern Georgia. It takes one too and from Brunswick, Georgia. Ever since I had a panic attack going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, a bridge I had driven over countless times, I have not been able to drive over bridges that have any height to them. This is one of those bridges. I have no explanation for this as the panic attack came out of the blue. This bridge has 185 feet of clearance from the river below at its highest point. So even though I wanted to check out Brunswick for photo opps there was no way in hell I was going to go over this bridge.

When I had the panic attack I was close to the top of the Sunshine Skyway. This is 173 feet above Tampa Bay. Go figure I want to stay away from bridges this high. This is not a place I need to experience a mental freak out.


If you have a panic attack you will understand.

And I know one person who reads this blog who will find this to be totally funny because I gave this person a whole load of crap for not wanting to drive over these things. Payback from the brain is a bitch. :)

Google these bridges for the facts. Interesting.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

That pic freaks me out just looking at it. I wish I could get over that fear, but as long as I have lived, it is still there.

Anonymous said...

You ain't alone.
I used to work up high with not much under me accept some steel beams and the ground a couple of hundred feet below; didn't bother me a bit. Now I panic if I look over the edge of anything and the ground isn't close by; my ass stitches button holes in my bloomers.

Mark said...

Laurie, I thought you would like this. Somebody is getting back at me. I need to figure out how to get over this.

Ken, it is wierd how this came out of nowhere. Hieghts bother me in certain situations. It seems to me that most of time it involves what I think is a lack of control. I can go to the edge and it is usually fine. Who knows, the brain does odd things.

Tammy said...

I saw this bridge when I attended a conference in Jekyl Island. I was amazed at its location. Out in the middle of nowhere rises this crazy high bridge. I was glad I didn't have to go over it. I had a panic attack climbing the Statue of Liberty once. We had climbed 2/3 of the way up and I decided I couldn't do it. Well, too late, as the hundreds of people behind me wouldn't back off. Poor Mike guided me through that horrible experience. I can relate to the panic attack thing. I've only had 2 in my whole life.

Mark said...

Panic attacks are very odd things. Not cool at all and when you are driving they are even less cool.

Not on list of things I ever expected from life.

Like the Sunshine Skyway this was replaced because it got hit a few times and many people died.

That is enough for me to go the long way around. I still can go over the Seven Mile Bridge cause I know fun is right down the road.