Wednesday, October 7, 2009

World as Art

So tonight when I was not listening to music and playing on the internet I watched a show on PBS called "Craft in America". The show focused on assorted artists doing pottery, which is my favorite, glass blowing, metal working, weaving, book making amongst other art forms. What was cool is they were small independent artists who worked in traditional ways and excelled at their craft. It was cool to hear them talk with such passion about their craft.
One last thing on pottery. When I go on vacation I like to by a piece of pottery, from a local artist, if the chance presents itself. It is much better than a t-shirt.

I wish I had learned a craft in the arts as a kid.

So maybe today you heard about the healthcare bill, its cost and such. However the things that is complete crap is that even in ten years, 2019, there will be 25 million still uninsured. The estimates say 1/3 of those will be illegal aliens. There is no acceptable reason that they can not pass a bill making sure that all Americans are insured, now. Yes it will be costly, however it is morally corrupt that you can not get this done. You disappoint me greatly.


The photo is of plans for the new Tampa Art Museum that will be opening which will be opening in Feb. of 2010. These were tossed outside near the trash. This was before they torn down the old museum, which was in very sad shape. I thought at the time I should take them. Now I am pissed that I didn't. Oh well, more crap I really did not need.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

We can't all be the artist my friend. As we are the folks who appreciate the artists don't we hold an important role too in that circle? Like I tell my sister-in-law who is a potter/artist who urges me to "follow my dreams"... I tell her "someone has to clean the toilets." We all have our role in life I guess. And you do have an art form which is developing amazingly! your photos are so inspiring and thought provoking.

As my children grow out from under my wings and my daughter is soon herself not to have health care I grow fearful of where this country is going and what will be left for her generation. Once again, the Sneeches with Stars upon Thars will rule while standing upon the backs of the Sneeches without stars. The middle/lower class is not a priority for our government.

We should see each other soon, its been a while and Mike could use a distraction. Maybe there is some sort of festival in Jacksonville upcoming we can attend.

This is such a long week. Tamatha

Anonymous said...

Like you, I try to support the small artist/business person. I usually sniff out a metal smith and buy something I can appreciate now and then pass on to another generation through a museum donation. I particularly like blacksmiths and silversmiths. The small jewelry and useful gadgets they make are timeless art.

I hope something good comes from the healthcare initiative and that some future governments do not decide to start taking it apart.

Mark said...

I agree someone else has to clean the toilets, but I think that we all have some kind of artistic talent. It is just that I think that side of us is not nurtured in school when we are young and it should be. Our loss .

It is hard to "follow your dream" if you are making no money.

Maybe I'll head over next Saturday morning. Start my vacation at your place and then head up into Georgia after that for some pictures.

I like supporting the small artist. They deserve it. I also use most of the pottery I buy. It adds to the the connection of the piece.