Sunday, October 11, 2009

Return of an old friend



It is nice to return to an old friend to say hi and see how time has treated them. Well I returned to my friend and photo partner the Underwood Motel last week. The photos here will give you and indication of how time has treated her. The top photo was taken in October of 2009, the second was taken in March of 2006. The 2006 picture was the actual beginning for me to take photography to another level. I had only been on Flickr for two months at that point. So you see that things were coming together as a photographer around the same time.
So this sign, which I love as an old classic neon sign, holds a special place for me. It is my version of Linus's blanket. It always give me great shots and shows how time and mother nature take its toll if left to her own devices. As you can see the arrow is now completely hidden from view and at the rate the field around her is growing the whole sign will soon be invisible to those who do not know she is there. I am going to head back up for more pictures as soon as we have some cold weather and some of the brush and shrubs have died. I have a fear that the sign is not long for the world and I need to capture as many pictures as possible before it disappears either from man or mother nature, although as long as it is there I will photograph it.
Thank you Underwood Motel for being my blanket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the security blanket quote; it is good to have a place to get into a complete comfort zone while shooting. Alas, friends don't always last forever.
----
Keep 'em coming.

Tammy said...

Better that Mother Nature puts her tendrils into the Motel Underwood sign than the sharp-tooth of a CAT bulldozer. Just think of it this way.. if that sign decides to plummet to the ground one of these days, you can have a physical souviener. A big Motel Underwood flashing sign lighting up the computer room!

I like the Linus reference as well. It is nice to have a place that you can associate with a good fuzzy feeling.

ready for vacation?

Mark said...

Well I hope the sign hangs around for some time. I would love to have this in my yard. It is much bigger than it looks. I have thought about it, as you can guess.

It is like a warm old friend. At somepoint I'll do a Blurb book of the sign.

Vacation, it may be delayed. UUGGGH!