Monday, October 12, 2009

National Parks are cool

Labor Day weekend 2005 as the world was fully awakening to horror of Katrina's impact on New Orleans I was heading out to Vegas as a layover night before heading to the north rim of the Grand Canyon for a few days, then off to the south rim for a couple nights and back to Vegas again. Very cool and interesting part of the United States if you have never been there. I would like to go back again for a few weeks and just roam around. On the third day there I went to Bryce Canyon, above, and Zion National Park. A very long day with lots of traveling. I absolutely love Bryce and Zion. Very beautiful and vastly different from one another given how close they are to each other. I hiked down to the bottom of Bryce and very cool and not so easy. Going down was easy, going back up was a long tough trip for me. Thankfully I had plenty of water. It was just a tad warm. Some wild rock formations. When you were on the other side from where this picture was taken you had views for a long ways off. Up where high up on the plateau and were down on small towns and vast amounts of wide open plains leading to the mountains in the distance. Very cool.

So on this trip I was able to go to three National Parks, Hoover Dam and Glen Canyon Dam in the in five days before getting back to Vegas. The great thing it never seemed rush, except when we needed to get out of Utah and to Arizona to get a bottle Early Times before the liquor store closed. There were none in Utah and this only one for many many many miles. You understand.
I would go back to Bryce and Zion before the Grand Canyon truth being told. And if want you go to Hilldale, Arizona or Colorado City, Utah and hangout with the fundamentalist Mormons as they live out in the area. They are pretty remote.
Just go.........................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great description of an area I've always wanted to see. Good advice there at the end.

Tammy said...

I'm buying a lottery ticket this weekend. My first major National Park will be the Redwood Forest bar none, the wood nymph in me must go. Plus, it could be at the end of a lovely week long wine country tour up the coast....
I hope you are keeping a journal sir of your travels. I don't think you will regret such.

Mark said...

Thanks Ken. I figure do what I can now. I don't want to wait till I retire. I can almost afford it now.

Tammy, I have not been keeping a written journal. My pictures are my journal. :) However I did just pick up a handmade journal with recycled paper from the St. Pete Folkfest I went too. I was made by some young kid in a youth arts group. I also bought a pottery plate you could use for cheese and crackers. and a little cloth business card holder. It good stuff and cheap. They could get more for it. For big vacations i also save all kinds of paper, brochures, a local newspaper, reciepts and whatever I think is cool. I have all that stuff in photo albums. It is cool to look back at that stuff.