Monday, February 21, 2011

Our America



http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/tallying-coals-hidden-cost/?scp=3&sq=coal&st=cse

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/opinion/20House.html?_r=1&scp=7&sq=coal&st=cse

Read those stories on coal and turn off the lights.

Did you know that 43 million Americans now get food stamps, actually know a credit card like system, and that JP Morgan Chase runs the debit card program in 25 states and makes huge profits from this program. So as the number of poor decline and need food stamps the rich get richer.

Here is a link to a great series from HBO. It is all one Youtube. This is the first segment. Great folks, but this is America. Should this even be acceptable that they have to struggle like this.



Record highs are expected to to. 75 or so.

Congrats to the little kid who won Daytona. He ran one hell of a race.
He just turned twenty Saturday. His life is changed more than he knows.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I've seen some of this kind of mountain people living in the area where my Uncle lives in Missouri. It is startling to see a little town that seems 20 years or more behind the rest of the fast paced world. I'm still reeling that it has been 10 years, 10 years!!, since Dale Sr died. I cannot beleive how fast that time went. We watched bits and pieces of the race. I am sickened w/ the amount of advertising on my screen. I'd rather go watch a home town race on a dirt track to be honest with you but I'm glad the young kid won. He is cody's age. Who did he know to get plopped in a NASCAR? and no great surprise Mark Martin wrecked early. back to work..

Anonymous said...

Good video and stories, especially the invisible Appalachia. I've been meaning to write a piece about it but I get so damned mad when I try to put something together ...
I was working near Charleston W.V. when the first mountaintop removal work began. From the roof of the coal burning power house I was helping build, I saw dozers and pan loaders reduce a high knob down to flat ground in a matter of weeks; not for coal, but for a golf course and country club. It was near a little town called Paradise.

I'm just happy a Ford finally won the race and the fact it was a Knoxville boy in the Wood Bros. #21 sweetened the day. When will people ever learn that Mikey Waltrip is a loaded gun on the racetrack? I like him, but he can't drive a lick.

Mark said...

There are lots of little towns around the south like this. I do not see that changing one bit. No jobs is the biggest reason.

Way too much advertising during the race. Annoying to say the least. I am happy the Woods Brothers won. The kid has most likley been rqcing since he was very little.

Ken, please write that story.