Thursday, December 15, 2011

Observations



These guys are a band I need to see live.

Well we are now "officially" out of Iraq. Except for the 15,000 to 17,000 CIA, FBI, DEA and other assorted letters that are still there. Oh yeah the security is being provided by contractors. The embassy is 104 acres. One of the largest in the world.
Of course we have a large force in Kuwait so we can go in and be the hero's or invade Iran. You make the call. Pathetic.

Ken and others like my myself who have a Kindle have quite clearly noticed the rising prices of a large number of books from Amazon and other e-reader services. Why in hell would I pay more for a non book when I can get the book cheaper. If I wait a bit I can get the real thing much cheaper on Ebay, your local yardsale or free from the library. To hell with 'em. I can get plenty of decently written novels for free or under $2.00. I will not pay the prices they are asking and the backlash is beginning. Just buy your cheap novels or get as many free ones as possible and laugh. Are the publishing houses trying to kill e-readers?

The drones are coming. Jamming devices anyone.

Be afraid of SOPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good music.

I've got to the point where I download only free books or the cheapest ones. Amazon FB page has special from time-to-time and you can get a recent title for a few bucks. I am also reading the old Perry Mason novels for $6 each.

Anonymous said...

SOPA has a lot of sites scrambling. Cyrus is wanting everyone to watermark their photos before uploading to Megashot. Hell, a good watermark fucks up the photo and it is still not a very good safeguard.
SOPA is a bad law proposal.

Anonymous said...

Mark and Ken, please read one of the posts of my favourite Polish/English bloggers Michael Dembiński. It's about the euro crisis. My opinion is similar.

Mark... if Christmas decoration is ready, please take photo of your beautiful house.

PS: PiS in Poland is like the Republicans in the US, and Jarosław Kaczyński is their leader.

Anonymous said...

For Jola:
I read your link.
It is difficult to say "this" is right or "that" is right. Business, government, religious, and international relations are highly, exceedingly, and wrongly based on money instead of on people.
I don't know what Jesus would have said about the current crisis, but I know what his feelings were about money changers in the Temple at Jerusalem. In another metaphor, he said "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's." The phrase is supposed to be about the Jews paying taxes to Rome, but I also see it as money is a creation of man and should not rule him.
The American money crisis along with the Euro money crisis is mostly due to people putting money before themselves; we have been led to believe money will cure all evils when actually it is the cause of most evils.
Poland decided NOT to embrace Euro currency until later and is one of a very few European countries that are thriving even in the mess other and richer nations are bearing.
A united Europe needs leadership of people who do not pay homage to money but to the needs of people. So far, Big Banking is leading and it's not working there or in the USA.

Anonymous said...

I wrote my comment and it vanished!:-(
So only three last sentences. There is no euro in my country but we feel crisis. Hard crisis. First time since a long time we (my family) decided to spend Christmas without gifts. Anyway we still enjoy Jesus birth. :-)

Mark said...

Jola, I'll catch up later. Took the weekend off from the web.

Anonymous said...

To Jola:
Blogger is famous for eating comments.