Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lynn Samuels



Today's post is dedicated to the late Sirius talk show host Lynn Samuels.
Yesterday I learned that Lynn passed away on Christmas Eve.

Somewhere around 2006-2007 while roaming around the Sirius radio channels I came across this voice that was unlike anything else I had ever heard on radio. It was the voice I knew of a what one envisions of a stereotypical New York Jewish woman. I was right. I was hooked from that point on.

She was on the Sirius left channel Monday through Friday and I began listening to her at lunch most every day. Lynn's show was politics and entertainment and what was going in her apartment building or any other subject that happened to wander into her mind at the time. She was a liberal who hated Obama, wanted to carry a handgun, hated illegal immigrants, loved Stephen King and most importantly loved her audience. She had quite a foul mouth and was quite liberal in her use of "fuck" amongst other words that you can't say on regular radio.

She was my lunch date for several years. For some reason unknown to anyone Sirius took her off weekdays earlier this year and moved her to Saturday's this year. With her show being Saturday and Sunday morning's from 10 - 1 she become my weekend morning date. Going out to yard sales and flea markets or on a roadtrip Lynn was my faithful companion. This move to weekends broke her heart I believe.

Sometimes you know somebody you never met and they touch you in some way and they become part of your life. Lynn was one of those people.

The song post for today was what she played and sang along with every Friday at 2 p.m., I never did know why. She vowed never to play it again as long as she was only on weekend.

Here is her Obit in the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/nyregion/lynn-samuels-radio-talk-show-host-dies-at-69.html?_r=1

Here is her website. The top two posts are Lynn Samuels Christmas and podcast 2.
They are little snipets of shows over the years. Give it a listen.
http://www.lynnsamuels.com/

We will miss you Lynn. We will not forget you.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I love to hear your story about this woman and that she was your companion for many miles and countless road side stands, flea markets, tag sales and morning chores. These are the stories that make up our lives, the traditions that firmly set their feet in our life's journey and make us interesting. It is a shame she never knew how you kept her around and enjoyed her voice and views. My philosphy has always been - if you love someone TELL them for they may not otherwise know how important they were to you. I do this at the risk of looking a fool but I don't care. If you are one of my people - you know why I love you. I love you. This little book you gave me is gold.

Anonymous said...

An interesting woman and I like her opinionated output.
You would make a good independent radio host.

Mark said...

I think what made her different from others in her field is that she was regular people and her opinions and thoughts followed no particular pattern.

I don't think she realized how much her listeners loved her and felt they were part of her family.

I love you and you are a princess.

The book has the most fantastic quotes.

I think I would do well on radio as an independent radio host.