Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Points of interest


Remember when Walmart used to tout that the "Made in America" phrase in their tv commercials, remember when most furniture sold in the U.S. was made in the U.S., remember when most of the clothing you bought was also made in the U.S. Well, of course you do. I ask this because many Americans blame illegal immigrants for taking American jobs. The fact is we have lost jobs because local, state and federal government actions have caused major industries to move their manufacturing facilities overseas, not because of the illegals coming here. The blame should be placed on Walmart for forcing companies to produce products at such low prices they could no longer make the products here and be able to stay in business. The blame should be placed on corporations for moving overseas to make products at a cheaper price and of a cheaper quality. The blame should be placed on government for not coming up with policy to make it easier for companies to stay here. The blame should also be placed on the citizens of the United States for wanting cheaper products, no matter what the cost.
The jobs illegal are taking today are not jobs Americans were working at before all these companies left and they are not jobs Americans are willing to work at today. Americans are not willing to work as pickers in the fields, make the bed in your hotel, work in the meat processing plants, mow your lawn, build your apartment complex, work in the kitchen at restaurants and do a whole host of others jobs that we have deemed to be menial.
This is how it has always been in every wave of major immigration to the United States and how it will always be. Look at the history of Jews and Italians and Irish that came here and you will see the same arguments made then that you hear today. If we really want no immigration we need to close the borders to ALL immigration, bring ALL the troops home from every base in the world, change the tariff laws, pull the curtains closed and say goodbye to the rest of the world.
The Mexicans are here to stay so get used to the fact and learn to deal with.
If you want manufacturing back here with jobs they bring then stop shopping at Walmart and by American. You will pay more but your neighbor will get his job back, maybe.
And what about all the black people from all over the world brought here as slaves to do jobs that white Americans were unwilling to do.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Well this is a lot to chew for a Wednesday. I understand what you say and agree; however, I don't think that it will change Mark even if I, you, and 10,000 other people shop elsewhere for toilet paper. The one thing we CAN count on is that the ebbs and flows of life create change. A different way of doing things, some better, some worse. Many will be left behind, trampled on, pushed to the edges, and some thrown off. It is a sad violent human truth as old as humanity itself.. a survival of the fittest if you will. while I don't agree that any of this is right.. I have lost many accounts to overseas transcriptionists believe me and it eats me alive... I haven't been able to quite put my finger on how to fix any of it. I can only plod along trying to change the small space I occupy. Just like you with careful thoughtful shopping, supporting my local farmers and businesses, buying local art, avoiding the masses, and recycling; however, at the end of the day when my pay is cut and I have less to spend I do find myself at WalMart hell buying cheap toilet paper. Such a dilema.
I HAVE worked some of those jobs you mention too. Picking crops, mowing sod, mowing lawns, washing dishes (some of them elbow to elbow with migrant workers) and nope they weren't fun and I didn't want to say in that place but I realize how they helped to build my character. I think if more teens had the opportunity to work some of those jobs it may be somewhat humbling and help to build a better person which is what I feel most of americans are lacking.
Lots to think on. I'll mull it over some more. What would we do without your rantings? xoxo

Anonymous said...

Damn, I like your toys.

Tammy and you have valid arguments; you are both seeing the same knot but from a slightly different place on the string. Whichever way we go, it will take generations to come before Reaganomics is undone mainly because most people have not taken the time to consider what has happened and what we should do. Citizens are still depending on politicians to do right by them. Head in the sand. Failure.

Mark said...

Hell, I do not disagree with a thing Tammy say's here.

I use Walmart sometimes, although as little as possible. It ain't easy to avoid the place.