Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Missing

If things were as they have been in the past I would be heading over to Tammy and Mike's after work today for Daytona weekend. I spent most Daytona 500 weekend with them for the last 15 years or so. It was part of the fabric of life. Going to the races at Daytona, seeing my brother, going to the local races, going to flea markets or St. Augustine, eating fresh oyster steamed on the grill and having wings during the race on Sunday. It was something I looked forward to doing every year. It just seems so odd not to be doing that. There are things you miss when you move away and this is one of them. I think of going over and the kids were little. Damm now they are young adults. Surreal.

Time to establish new traditions I suppose.

This is from the infield at Daytona in 2007. Taken from the roof of the garage in the "fan zone".
Just a few people around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, difficult to give up a way of life, and I know Mike and Tammy are very dear to you. If I were capable of doing a bit of walking, I would invite you over to the Bristol race experience this year; if you've never seen a race there, it is an awesome spectacle.

We are in the middle of a whiteout here. Noon.

Tammy said...

we will miss you too. and the kids asked if you were coming this year. If it were to be a nice weekend I'd spend it trying to get the garden up and going but I'm not sure about the frost/freezes still. I may try and drag Mike to the flea market in St. Aug but he doesn't enjoy it with me the way you do. Teddy gave him a smoker so he is excited to get it cranked up and we are going to throw a pork roast in it. I have a B-dance gig next Sunday so I have to practice, otherwise it will be pretty quiet and boring without you. Hell, we may even celebrate Valentine's Day for the first time in 15 years, but I doubt it... we aren't the Hallmark sheep kind.
stay warm, love you.

Mark said...

Yea Bristol would be cool. I know that is one of the most popular places to watch a race. We had strong wind yesterday,but no snow.

A smoker is cool. I am sure that you will have lots of fun coming up with different rubs for the meant you are going to cook.

I have not found a good flea market yet and I do not like that.

The weather has been odd this winter. Late planting season.