Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fall of the Underwood

So this weekend I was in Asheville and meet up with fellow photographer Michael, aka Desolation Row, and his wife. They drove up from Jacksonville, Fla. for the weekend and we had a excellent time. Check out his pictures on Flickr if you have a chance.

The picture posted here was taken by Michael at one of our favorite sites. Yes that is the Underwood Motel sign. He went there to get some shots before the weeds come back to life.
Well to his horror and now mine the sign has been severely damaged. Somebody vandalised the top of the sign. It appeared that they tried to topple the portion that said "Hotel" by twisting it. I suppose that they were going to take this for scrap metal. How very depressing it is that one of my favorite places to shoot has been ruined by some idiots and now I can not get back there to complete my series of Underwood shots. Complete bummer.

Thanks to Desolation Row for the use of his picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is crappy about the sign; I hope the jerks that did it got hurt in the process.

Tammy said...

Bummer. You can still take shots of it, now in its fallen state. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here. I can't imagine what value it would have to anyone aside from you and your ilk.
I hate to see changes when I go home to Brooksville with signs/buildings and the like. It is like an unraveling of my personal carpet and makes me so sad. That piece of property next to my brother that I wanted to buy is way overpriced. it is 2.6 acres and she wants like 79K for it. Outradgeous. it is scrub w/ nothing but sugar sand and sandspurs. Maybe it will come down but unless I win the lottery it isn't likely I can have it.

Mark said...

I think they must having been out for scrap metal.

79K for two acres is way overpriced. It will not sell any time soon for that price. I would go to the countys tax site and see what the property is valued at. Then you would have a decent idea of what it may be worth.