Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sunglasses and Dreads



Tell me whose hair is more frightening. It is the dreads or one of the two women with the sunglasses on. I pick the woman on the left.


This was the Asheville drum circle on Saturday night. I was going back to my truck to dump the camera off and they were playing at one of the stages. Well I had to stop a watch for a while as they are pretty darn good. Quite a variety of people in the drum circle. Black, white, native American--a very old Eskimo woman, a woman with downs syndrome and her Mom all playing and having a great time. Although not the leader of the group Mr. Dread was clearly the one who was the best, in my opinion. After I went and watched some of Grace Potter, who had a massive crowd, I went back to the drum circle. Had to get back to some primal tribal feeling music. Watching a good drum circle is a blast. It has a way of striking to the core of who we are if you just go with the drumming. How these guys played for a couple hours Saturday is amazing as it was so blasted hot on the street. I wonder how much water they went through.




3 comments:

Tammy said...

The person on the left looks like a dude in drag. I love the "shell" of hair on the woman on the right compared to the complete mess of the dreds. I bet each of them had their own smell as well. Sometimes drum circles are pretty lame, especially when people who think they can drum try to drum loudest. It effs up the entire circle. They drum on the beach in St. Aug Wed nights when we are getting out of dance class. sometimes it sounds fab and sometimes not. So glad you had an enjoyable weekend. its only Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good drum circle; like Tammy said, so ain't so hot. The weather was very hot, though. The way Asheville sits in that mountain basin it is a wonder they get any air at all. If I had hair I might grow some dreads. Good catch on the photo; good drummers are always half fried.

Mark said...

Well I did see a few dudes in drag.

The few times I have seen the drum circle in asheville is generally rocks. I imagine there are a few out in world that are horrible.

I don't want dreads, but I would love much longer hair.

No air on Saturday at all.