Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Extra Extra


In my mad attempt to eliminate all debt I have not left myself much breathing room if I actually needed cash for something like the gas pump in this picture. This was $650.00 which is actually a good buy if one is inclined to have something like hanging around the house.
So yesterday some areas around here got hammered with rain. About 2 inches near work and about 4 inches just some of my house. On the way home I went past this stream that is usually 2 feet deep or so and not all that wide. Yesterday it had to be 10 feet deep and was wide. This stream is one of those that gets lots off runoff from the other streams in the area. Over the years it has carved a nice gully caused from storm runoff. Good example of flash flooding.
Notice the spin beginning in the news about the oil leak. Since the well has been capped and oil is getting harder to see on the surface the reporting is slowly turning towards "The spill may not be as bad as we thought". Watch the drumbeat on the positive spin grow louder.
Did you see the story about the guy who bought the Ansel Adams glass negatives for $45.00 at a yard sale and are allegedly worth $200 million. Well who knows what they are really worth but they are more than $45.00. What a great find. I am heading out Saturday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gas pump is an enigma of sorts; the style and side crank and sight bulb go back to the 50's at least but the Contains Lead warning wasn't required until probably the 60s or 70s. I think you should have the pump.

Odd how you are getting so much rain and we are getting so little.

Robert Reich is reporting that BP did very well financially in the last quarter even after write-offs and adjustments.

I would have dropped and broken the plates.

Mark said...

It is an old pup that must have retrofitted at some point. When these are 100% restored they sell for 2000.00 and up.

If I had a house I would buy it.

Seems the rain is coming from just east of you. Down from Galax Va. area.