Sunday, August 10, 2008

Stellar Blue Jay


In July 2006 I went on vacation to Northern California. I stayed in the small town of Crescent City which is just a few miles south of the Oregon border. It is a very beautiful area. The Pacific Ocean on one side with mountains and Redwood trees on the other. Because of the ocean and mountains it stays cool all year long. Even on July 4th the temps never got that warm.

Many people were wearing jackets that morning during the parade. If you headed east to the other side of the mountains the temps would be 20 to 30 degrees warmer


What I loved about the area was were ever you were the magic of mother nature was right there for you to view. Seals in the ocean, Elk on land and birds all over the place. Magical in my opinion. There were many long stretch of beaches between Crescent City and Eureka were there was not a soul on the beach. Something you do not see on most east coast beaches. Another cool thing was one of the beaches had loads of cool rocks of all shapes and patterns. There was always people on this beach laying on the rocks looking for "right ones" to take home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you may have a bit of itch to move there...

I have another Flickr contact whom lives there and she loves the place too.

Mark said...

It would love to move there. It would be tough to make a decent living. The other thing is all of my family is on the east coast. I really do not see them much now and I would likely see them much less if I went west, so that makes it tough.

Anonymous said...

The northwest is beautiful. I lived in Washington for 10 years and loved it. Oregon is such a lovely place. I have family here and want my grandchildren to know me so that is why I am here.

Mark said...

Well if I ever get the chance I am going to go on a long roadtrip around the U.S. and see what we have to offer. I want to spend a year on the road if I can. That way I can spend some time in each state.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you found the best part of California. I've heard so many people say they fell in love with the the area and lifestyle there. Thanks for sharing a little bit of it.

Mark said...

Hey Kim,

There was just a different vibe that I found to be refreshing.