Friday, July 20, 2012

Gramp Sevigny



Here is one of the last houses my grandfather built in 1957.

 https://vimeo.com/43225341


http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/64-Book-Hill-Rd_Essex_CT_06426_M33445-65037?source=web

It was designed by Ulrich Franzen.
What what I understand the guy was a wacko and it almost bankrupt my grandfather and most everyone else involved in the project. My father has letters my grandfathers workers wrote to him saying they would never work on a project that this guy designed.

I need to get some of the magazines this house was featured in. A neat slice of family history

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good singer.
Heck of a house; it is a good idea to research as much as possible on this place. There may be a good magazine article for you to write or maybe even a novel about the architect and the building of the place.

Mark said...

Rhonda Vincent is the reigning queen of bluegrass and has been for many years. She never really got the breaks when she recorded country albums. Too bad for country music.

I am going to dig and find out as much as I can. I think my grandfather would be fascinated to know the house has a place in history of mid century homes.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful house. No doubts that the project was difficult. Yes, the glass house which is a bit a like a Japan temple. Good place for living if you try to find a harmony in your heart and mind. Your grandfather was v. talented, Mark.

Mark said...

Thanks Jola. My grandfather was a very good home builder.

I'd like to get pictures of some of the houses. I have to get my father to remember. The problem is he was a kid when many of them were built.