Monday, September 21, 2009

Goodbye Allan "Web" Lewis


On Friday night Allan "Web" Lewis passed away. He leaves behind his wife Donna and daughter Kim. Web was 68 years old. Donna and Web we married for 47 years.

My father and Web had been best friends since they were in elementary school. Through the years our family's did many many things together. We went camping quite often when Kim, my brother and I were kids. We spent holidays and many other days together through the years. My Mom and Donna became best friends. They are an extension of family.

Web and my Dad had passion for cars from an early age. They built race cars as kids in the fifties. They raced dragsters together until they got married. In later years Web and my brother built a stock car for racing a the local track. When Web was 60 years old he was the one driving that stock car. Although he had never driven a stock car in a race they did quite well when Web drove. Over the 10 or 12 years Web had bought some old vehicles and restored them and went to car shows during the summer.

Web had been mostly retired for several years now. He was working a little here and there doing small home repair jobs. He was a good electrician and did a lot a electrical work in my parents home as they renovated the house through the years.

One thing that I always associate with Web is country music. When I was a kid I hated country music and when ever we went to visit there was always country music on. Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and so on. I drove me crazy as I was totally into Led Zeppelin and such at the time. For some reason that is etched into my mind.

Goodbye Web. You will be greatly missed by many people.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Such a lovely tribute to an extended family member. My heart goes out to your family. I am delighted that some of your love of country music is associated with this man who meant so much to you in your youth. The singer/songwriters he listened to were an example of the best country music had to offer. It makes you feel old doesn't it? when those people you looked up to as a kid start to pass. It makes me realize that we must love hard the people that we love. Cherish our elders for they have much to teach us. Peace my brother... Tammy, the Butterfly Goddess of the South

Mark said...

Thank you Tammy. It was quite a shock to say the least. He went to the hospital Wednesday night because he said he did not feel well. He was so weak that they were unable to do anything.

It does make one begin to feel old.