Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ruby C. Williams

Recently I took a little roadtrip on a Sunday morning out to Bealsville, Florida just east of Tampa to a little roadside stand that I had passed many many times over the years. I was always fascinated by the place because of the large number of signs and art that were displayed on the property. It was early in the morning and the stand was not open so I pulled over took a couple shots and headed home with plans on going back to see it all when the stand was open. I had found out through some research that the stand was owned and operated by Ruby C. Williams a renowned southern folk artist, also known by many as outsider art. So yesterday I decided to take a ride out and see Ruby and her art. When I arrived Ruby was standing near the road waving to everyone as they drove by. She was hoping to get people to stop in and purchase some produce. She has strawberries, collard greens, mustard greens and turnips right now. All fresh from her garden except the strawberries which are grown up the road from her stand. I pulled in and Ruby came up, shook my hand and we commenced to talking. I was there for an hour and a half. We talked about her art, she showed me a number of her pieces, told me some stories about being in a Smithsonian art show. We talked about a bunch of things, just let the conversation go wherever it wanted. I asked her if I could take some pictures of the artwork and signs outside. I told her I would like do a small photo book of the stand and I would give her a few copies and she said that was fine with her. So this is now my project. I am going to come up with a book of her produce stand and artwork and see what will become of this.

If you get a chance stop by and talk with Ruby. She is one of the kindest and nicest people you will meet. Your day will be better for it. I guarantee.

No comments: