Saturday, July 12, 2008

First out of the box

Well here is the first post and the first thing to get me going is paranoia.
Last night while out doing some photography with another photographer we got stopped and questioned by a security guard. He wanted to know why we taking pictures and did we have permission. Hello guy, we are public property. No permission needed. The object of our shooting, a parking garage. Not a high value target for misdeeds of those guys across the pond. My buddy gave him a bunch of crap and took a couple pictures of him which really pissed him off. In the end we left happy, he left pissed and the garage still stands, I think.

So in ending I say "People stop being so paranoid". You can chose to live in that world. Most of us do not want to live in that world and if you do I am sorry. Now go out and piss of somebody in authority.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell of a first blog!

Security guards think they have some kind of authority. Most of them have very little of it even when they are on the premises of the place they are "protecting".

Off duty cops moonlighting as guards are sometimes worse than civilian guards... they usually carry a concealed gun.

Mark said...

Thanks Ken. I'm off and running.

Thanks for the push in getting this started.

You are right about them having very little authority. It is an odd job really. Just enough power to be annoying to most people. In this area there is so much competition these guys make very little money.

I think most people would be amazed at how many people carry concealed weapons. It is not the number of people who carry that bothers me so much as the idiots that make up that number.

Anonymous said...

I've had a couple of friends who were security guards, hired mostly as door shakers. One was a good old boy and easy going, and wouldn't harm a fly. The other went through "police college", hours of training, and ended up being a jerk.

Mark, keep the good stuff coming. It is obvious I don't have many readers, but I'll try to shoo as many this way as possible.

If you haven't already, you can place a link on your Flickr profile.

Tammy said...

They are useful in action movies, no?

Mark said...

In one of the weird twists that is my life I sell law enforcement equipment. Yea, me the ultra liberal now figure that one. So I deal with these guys on a regular basis. So are genuine and can't be police because of some minor error in their past. Others I would not want them to guard the hen house eggs.


Tammy,that they are. The best security guard in a movie is the freak one with the Gimp in Pulp Fiction.

Keith said...

I could not agree more. Everyone is so crazy paranoid and protective of themselves these days. What good is life without freedom? People are so focused on their "rights to privacy" they forget to exercise the freedoms they are given.

Mark said...

Well said Kieth. I do not understand how we continually give away our freedom under the guise of being protected from terrorism and the like. One day we will look back and wonder what the hell happened to freedom.